“If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger.” – Jay Baer
Social media marketing is something everyone talks about but not many know what to do with. Brands try to engage with customers but many could not see tangible results like increased sales, loyalty or advocacy. Social media marketing is not easy and becomes more and more difficult in overreacted and crowded world, where nothing lasts, not even loyalty.
To get the grip with social media you need to take it like any other marketing exercise. Apart from your normal marketing plan, you can set yourself social goals that might be slightly different than the general company ones.
Set up goals. Chose ideally one objective, it can be:
- Increase website traffic
- Generate leads
- Increase sales (mainly for retail)
- Create a brand identity (associations and awareness)
- Your social media strategy will be based primarily on your one objective.
- Discover your target audience
- Create content accordingly to what your audience wants to hear. Don’t waste your time on bad content. Create stories that people want to share and target the appropriate audience with these stories.
- Create a schedule, use automation to lessen the burden BUT keep an eye on conversations.
- Measure engagement. If you only are to measure one thing, it should be engagement. It is not as many people have seen it but how many people liked it and shared it.
- Measure reach. More people indeed see it the more people are more likely to engage and convert.
- Track competitors
- Use Analytics, Google Analytics. It’s free and simple.
Pay for advertising.
To get people to like you, you need to find them first. You will need to spend some money to get to them. Facebook has now a very advanced advertising platform that you can target specific groups of people, based on hobbies, likes, demographics, occupation etc
10 Top Tips for your Social Media Marketing
- Listen to your current and potential customers
- Be consistent in the quality of your content
- Be engaged
- Follow up
- Respond to comments
- Share other people’s content
- Keep it simple
- Keep it relevant
- Be on-trend – keep an eye on trending hashtags
- Stick to it, success doesn’t come overnight